Sunday, September 9, 2018

A Cheer Dad's Perspective- September

It’s A New Season, It’s A New Day!  

            So when the last cheer season ended I never thought I would miss it as much as I did. This offseason has been pretty good. Our gym is currently revamping themselves and you can tell the differences. There is a new attitude, a new zeal around the gym right now. We are excited with anticipation about what this new season will bring. Personally, I am excited to see my daughter and my son compete. My son is now on Tiny Novice and my daughter is now on Youth level 1. This is new for both of them. Brady has never competed before. He was on an exhibition team last season and Sydney was in the mini prep division last season. For me, as a parent, I have enjoyed watching both of them grow as athletes. Brady has developed a pretty amazing cartwheel and a beautiful roundoff and as for Sydney, she is learning new skills every practice it seems.
            So now here we are preparing for our fifth season being a part of our gym. Some people have asked me if I was exhausted and wanted to do something else with my kids. Honestly, no I am not exhausted. I am actually more excited than ever for this season. I am not going to talk about winning bids and national championships. That is the very conversation that our gym has banned. I love the new direction that we have taken. We aren’t talking about winning golden tickets, winning jackets, or really winning at all. We are talking about giving 100% and being the best you can be! That’s the direction we are going. We want our athletes to work hard, but also have some fun. I believe fun is what was missing for a while. There were parents talking about winning and jackets as if that was all that mattered. Don’t get me wrong, jackets and bids are great and awesome, but if you aren’t enjoying what you are doing, what’s the point? You could tell last season that some of the athletes were miserable due to pressure of parents. So I love that our coaches this season stepped in and said the focus is going to be on enjoying themselves and revamping who we are.
            Like I’ve said before we are family at our gym. We are bringing that back. Yes, the coach wants them to win. Yes, the coaches want to have the best routines they can do and yes, they want to challenge the athletes to get out of their comfort zones. I think sometimes you need to take a step back and realize changes need to be made. That’s what our gym did. So a new attitude, a new direction, new uniforms, and even some new competitions are in our future. Honestly one of my favorite things I like to tell people when you enter a new season is that “old things have passed away, all things are made new.” (If anyone is interest as to where I got that from it is found in Second Corinthians 5:17)
            In closing I would like for all gyms to have a great season. I hope for newness and greatness for all of you this year. I want everyone to enjoy themselves. Whether it’s being an athlete or a parent of an athlete, this is gonna be a great season for us all!  Buckle up ladies and gents the wild ride has started. Enjoy it!

-Charles Michael 


No comments:

Post a Comment